Marine & General Berhad (“M&G” or “the Company”) was originally incorporated as SILK Concessionaire Holdings Sdn Bhd on 14 October 1996, and subsequently changed its name to Sunway Infrastructure Berhad on 14 February 2002. It assumed the name SILK Holdings Berhad on 31 October 2008. It assumed its current name on 28 June 2017 after the successful completion of the disposal of the Company’s highway assets.
The Company acquired AQL Aman Sdn Bhd, the holding company of the 70% owned Jasa Merin (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (“JMM”), as part of its successful regularisation scheme completed on 14 October 2009.. The Terengganu State Government holds the remaining 30% of JMM via Terengganu Incorporated Sdn Bhd.
JMM was incorporated in December 1980 as Jackson Marine (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd. It commenced operations in October 1982. In 1986, the company name was subsequently changed to its present name. JMM heads the Company’s Marine Logistics – Upstream Division. JMM charters out offshore support vessels ("OSV”) for use by the oil majors in their exploration and production (“E&P”) activities. The OSVs provide support services to the E&P activities by undertaking anchor handling function (positioning and retrieval of drilling rig anchors), towing activities (repositioning of rigs to other drilling locations), firefighting and recovery support, as well as transporting equipment and cargoes to and from offshore installations.
The Company also owns Jasa Merin Labuan PLC (“JML”). JML is part of the Company’s Marine Logistics – Downstream Division. It charters out liquid bulk carriers (“LBC”) to the petro-chemical and oleo-chemical industries, whereby the vessels are used to transport liquid bulk products.